January 20, 2006

Oprah Winfrey's Book Club--Conned?

In case you missed my post at www.lindajhutchinson.com/blog, I've posted a vignette here. See my website blog for full details.

I have two articles to write for two other publications. I have plenty on my plate at the moment and I’m always seeking more work to keep me busy when present works have been delivered.
So why did I spend an hour and a half reading http://www.thesmokinggun.com/, a very long investigative report into whether the Oprah Book Club endorsed best seller “A Million Little Pieces” is fact or fiction?

TSG’s article is entitled “A Million Little Lies”. That’s why.

Not only did TSG give compelling reports of police interviews, arrest record searches, and fact-finding missions, but they have also interviewed author James Frey, and they are now being threatened with a lawsuit by him. Why?

It seems he may not have told the whole truth, as he promised he had done. His story has touched millions of lives. We believed him.

Will his second book, the one that takes off where this one ended be more truthful?

His website at http://www.bigjimindustries.com has been shut down; the message: “as the controversy and resulting traffic dies down, I’m sure the site will go back up.” I’m suspecting the host site crashed when controversy-caused hits to his site sucked up all the bandwidth. (My son does that to me when he’s home, so I know how disruptive it can be.)

What Mr. Frey is being accused of is claiming to write a non-fiction autobiographical story, while incorporating too much “artistic—or creative license”. In other words, his “true account” may not have much truth in it at all.

I’m wondering how the very classy Oprah will deal with this. Especially since this book touched her so deeply that she altered her book club “rules” to include contemporary authors again, rather than only endorsing the classics. TSG’s report calls Frey the author who “conned Oprah”. This story is far from over!

No comments: