February 24, 2009

Waiting, waiting, panic?

I'm under contract to produce an article about heavy equipment/major construction every 4th Friday of the year. That's 13 articles per year for one publication. During most of the year, finding interesting projects in the state of Ohio is a snap. I get all the updates from all 12 ODOT districts. I've also gotten to know the media relations folks at most of the major road and bridge-building construction companies.

However... December, January, and February are very tough months. The weather is so bad that not much is going on major-project wise. Except for hubby's projects - which don't fit this magazine's criteria.

Dear Husband just completed a drug store that normally takes 8 months. He did it in 4 1/2 months - during the harshest months of the year.

How? We're from the rainy side of Washington state. He knows how to pour concrete in the rain and snow and freezing temperatures. He knows how to get roofs on in the rain and snow. He knows how to get asphalt laid in miserable weather. The only thing that's slowed him down was getting the 2-inch thick layer of ice to melt so he could have the parking lot striped for parking stalls.

If only I could cover his project I wouldn't be in a panic about Friday's article. I still don't have a subject project. Still waiting for emails to come in from the wonderful people in the public information offices at ODOT. They truly are quite wonderful to work with. And they always come through.

Okay then. Since I'm waiting for emails, I think I'll head back to my little "art corner" to see if I can complete an oil painting that was started yesterday. To hear more about yesterday's fiasco, check out Living With Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis.

No comments: