March 23, 2010

Do You Need a Fax Line?

We run two businesses from our home. Dear Husband has an auto transport business, and I'm a writer--just in case you hadn't noticed already.

We haven't had a land-line in too many years to count, but it has become increasingly important for us to have an in-house fax line. Well, actually, that isn't a true statement because DH needs an in-the-TRUCK fax line.

While the bulk of my work is done online, thankfully, the man in my life was spending between $15 and $30 per week sending faxes. If he doesn't fax the brokers' paperwork in, he doesn't get paid.

After some serious thought and research, we settled on My Fax. The cost is about $12 per month.

It isn't as easy to use as simply walking up to the machine, punching in the phone number, laying the pages to be faxed in the tray, and then hitting the send button. It's a bit more time consuming. Okay, quite a bit more time consuming.

The pages to be faxed first have to be scanned and saved on one of our laptops. This can take some serious time. Then, the person doing the faxing--which is usually me since I'm the one spending time in the home office--gets to go to the My Fax website to do the faxing. From there it's a matter of attaching the scanned and saved pages--much like sending an email--except it takes longer.

While I'd like it if the process were quicker, considering that we run "wireless" at home, and with cell-ISP in the truck, it could be much worse.

I could have to put on real clothes, haul the paperwork to my car, drive to my local Kroger store, and then stand in line waiting to fax.

For someone who often gets so wrapped up in writing that I sometimes forget that I'm still wearing pajamas at 4:00 in the afternoon, that would be much worse!

So if you're a pajama-clad writer who doesn't want the expense of another phone line, My Fax just might be the solution to your fax problem.

No comments: