March 25, 2010

My "Highest and Best Use"

My dream has always been to write great fiction. Since I was a little kid.

However, what I find myself doing these days (and for the past several years) is writing mostly non-fiction. I'm also doing a great deal of editing.

Does this cause me distress? No. Working as a freelance commercial writer is extremely satisfying.

What I thought I'd miss most was the creativity--that part of my soul that controls the part of my brain which caused me to want to write fiction in the first place.

As I call on my sales, and marketing and promotion, experiences to create great "copy" for my clients I've come to realize that, while not writing fiction, the creative side of my being has been elevated to its highest and best use. An old Realtor phrase (yep, I've sold real estate), but one I utilize regularly.

What we do doesn't always define who we are, but as long as what we do brings satisfaction within ourselves, our chosen career IS producing our highest and best use for our time on this planet.

No comments: