July 27, 2008

Why Freecycle?

I Freecycle. Why? Because it keeps millions of tons of durable and usable goods out of the landfills. It helps those who can't afford a bed or a sofa or a chair (and sometimes even food) to have those items for the price of fuel to go get them. It's GREEN! It's the right thing to do. (The title is a link to the main website. Just insert your city to join.) Everything must be FR*E!

I've met some fascinating folks as I've picked up items. We have received: a futon with mattress, a portable basketball backboard on wheels, a hot tub, upholstered chairs, kitchen items, an antique bed with almost new mattress, a bird cage with stand, perennial plants by the tens, and many other items.

We've given away a bunch of usable "stuff", too. Currently we have grapes for making wine listed. They aren't quite ready, but I have names and phone numbers for 14 people who want them when they are.

And, sometimes, Freecycle is just plain fun! The following was posted a couple of days ago:

WANTED: Devil Duckies. "Any and all to feed our obsession."

My emailed response:

I woke up in a devilish mood, so I'm just going to taunt your obsession. I have a devil duckie - and you can't have it. Neener, neener.

Some history: It was given to me, along with two autographed books, three chocolates in foil wrappers, a Tattered Cover Book Store bag and promo book postcards, by author Mario Acevedo. All but the books are on the wall in my office where the duckie watches over me while I write. Mario would love this taunt! You'd have to read his books to understand. http://www.amazon.com/dp/006143888X?tag=linjhut-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=006143888X&adid=074XZENJ4S66Q01FQ6DZ&

Check out what I've said about them at about mid-page at: http://www.lindajhutchinson.com/2008_linda_j_hutchinson_for_readers.htm The devil duckie is his "mascot" - of sorts.

I don't gain anything by talking about his books unless you buy them by clicking on the links provided at my website. I'm an amazon.com affiliate. You've been warned.

So that's the story behind my devil duckie. I'm just having fun this morning before going out to spend the day weeding. You provided an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

Hope you receive tons of these delightful creatures ... but, you CAN'T HAVE mine! BWWWWWAAAAAAaaaaHHAAHAAAaaaaaaaa.

Linda J. Hutchinson
Freelance Writer/Copywriter
http://reviewhutch.blogspot.com
Linda's Gifts and Decor
(Ask me how to get $10 off your first purchase.)
linda@lindajhutchinson.com


(You'll notice the opportunities for marketing and promotion there.)

To which she responded: Evil woman - that's what having devil duckies around will do to you. . . . My grandson is the real obsessive, but I myself am custodian of four duckies, including the prized Dead Duck with x's for eyes. . . . Either Freecycle is a pretty serious bunch, or nobody's giving up their duckies without a fight.

My thoughts: Some days are just more fun than others. You never know when an opportunity will open to market your wares or to write just for fun.

No comments: